ICM at the 2022 EASA Annual Safety Conference
“Airport Safety & Environmental Sustainability through Innovation” were the main focus point of the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) conference held in Prague in recent days. Dr. Jan Malawko, an Aviation Scientist at ICM University of Warsaw took part in the panel dedicated to Smart Airport Safety Solutions.
Panelists* focused on technological innovations, such as artificial intelligence, smart sensors to report on runway surface contamination, digitalisation, driverless vehicles and automation. Discussion explored some of latest technological developments, the role of regulators and of industry standards bodies.
Dr. Malawko discussed the aviation projects implemented at ICM, in particular the project on the use of artificial intelligence in determining Runway Condition Code, the code causing proper braking action of aircraft on the runway in various weather conditions. He emphasized the great potential that exists in the processing of digital data on air transport in many different aspects. He also pointed out the value that exists when designing IT systems for aviation in cooperation with academic centers, especially when these applications are designed from the very beginning as part of multilateral cooperation.
The Annual Safety Conference featured high level speakers from airport operators, airlines, ground handling companies, air navigation service providers, manufactures, EU institutions and European Member States’ competent authorities. They shared their experience and exchanged strategic views exploring airside innovations in various panels (see Agenda) The Conference was organised by EASA and Czech Presidency of the EU Council and took place in Prague between 30 Nov – 1 Dec 2022.
*Annual Safety Conference 2022: Panel 2: Smart Airport Safety Solutions [Day 1, 30.12.2022]
- Eduard Ciofu, Head of Department Aerodromes & Air Operations, EASA (Moderator)
- Emilia Kosińska, Solutions Leader, Polish Air Navigation Services Agency (PANSA)
- Dr. Jan Malawko, Assistant Professor, University of Warsaw (ICM)
- Øyvind Hallquist, Senior Advisor Strategy and International Affairs, Avinor
- Alessandro Fidato, Chief Operating Officer, Milan Airports
- Monika Mejstrikova, Director Ground Operations, IATA
- Marcus Schnabel, Senior Vice President Operations, Lufthansa Group
EASA / ICM