June 15th – launch of the new Library of Science website, the largest scientific database in Poland with full-text publications
Over 360.000 scientific articles from nearly 1.400 journals and mobile versions of books in Open Access. The project created in cooperation with publishers is in line with policies for openness recommended by the Polish Ministry of Education and Science and Plan S signatories, such as the National Science Center.
The Open Science Platform, which is a part of ICM University of Warsaw invites you to participate in “Library of Science. Developing the infrastructure and resources of Open Science” conference, which will be held online on June 15, 2021. The event is organized to celebrate the launch of the new site of the Library of Science – the largest Polish platform of open scientific content. The project is led by the Interdisciplinary Centre for Mathematical and Computer Modelling at the University of Warsaw as a part of the Open Science Platform.
“During the conference we would like to host a discussion about the needs and expectations of scientific publishers and journal editorial boards related to Open Access, especially in the context of the European and Polish scientific policy. It is also an opportunity to exchange international experiences related to Open Access to scientific publications.
We have invited the representatives of European and national institutions responsible for the development of science and implementation of Open Access, as well as the representatives of other regional publication platforms” – informs Dr. Krzysztof Siewicz, coordinator of the Polish Scientific Publications Platform project.
The conference programme includes a presentation of the Library of Science, a lecture on the European Commission’s policy for openness, as well as two panel discussions – the first with the participation of authorities from PAN (Polish Academy of Sciences), KRASP (Conference of Rectors of Academic Schools in Poland) and NCN (National Science Center), the second with representatives of similar services to the Library of Science from around the world. The following have confirmed their participation as speakers and/or panel discussion participants.
- Zbigniew Błocki, Professor of Mathematical Sciences, Director of the National Science Center since 2015;
- Elżbieta Żądzińska, Professor of biological sciences, Rector of the University of Lodz, Chairwoman of the Science Committee of the Conference of Rectors of Academic Schools in Poland;
- Paweł Rowiński, Professor of Earth Sciences, Corresponding Member of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Vice President of the Polish Academy of Sciences since 2015;
- Alea López de San Román González, Policy Officer at the European Commission’s Directorate for Research and Innovation;
- Arianna Becerril García; Full-time professor-researcher at the Autonomous University of the State of Mexico (UAEM). Member of the National System of Researchers (SNI) of Mexico;
- Marek Michalewicz, MSc (LaTrobe), PhD (ANU), FAIP; Director of the Interdisciplinary Center for Mathematical and Computational Modeling (ICM) at the University of Warsaw and Visiting Professor at the Institute for Advanced Computational Sciences at Stony Brook University, USA
- Miroslav Milinović, Assistant Director for Information and Middleware Infrastructure at SRCE – University of Zagreb, University Computing Centre (Croatia);
- Susan Murray, Executive Director of African Journals OnLine (AJOL)
- Ritsuko Nakajima, Director of the Department for Information Infrastructure at Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST);
- Abel L. Packer, Co-Founder of SciELO. Director of the SciELO / FAPESP Programme.
About Library of Science
The new version of the “Library of Science” provides full-text publications of journals and books, along with an interface for automatic imports and for uploads of new resources by journal editors and publishers. Thanks to the implementation of recognized technical standards, scientific publications which are made available on the platform are very well visible for search engines and are thus easily accessible to all interested readers. Library of Science new site have now provided for an even more attractive presentation and have introduced additional features such as a citation generator in popular formats. Each journal operates from its own “home page” on the website, where the content of each issue can be present, as well as information about journal official score, indicators, editorial board, the rules for accepting and reviewing manuscripts, etc. It is a great help in promotion not only for the authors of these publications, but also for the publishers and editors themselves.
The new version of the platform has been developed in the project titled “Platform of Polish Scientific Publications”, co-financed from the European Regional Development Fund, 2nd priority axis of the Operational Program Digital Poland for 2014-2020, Measure 2.3. (total project value: PLN 5,164,777.78, co-financing from European Funds: PLN 4,370,951.43).